Yes, those soft tortillas that you buy in a sealed plastic bag are convenient, but actually making your own is easy and the results are more authentic, have no additives and are surprisingly quick and delicious. Why not try making them yourself? ¿Por qué no cocinar estos si mismo?
You can even go on to fry them and dust in paprika to create your own crunchy tortilla chips. Or rub them with oil, place one each in an oven proof bowl and bake at 170C for 8-10 minutes to make crispy baskets to serve your rice or chilli in.
Makes 10 small-medium tortillas
- Strong white bread flour – 250 g
- Salt – 5 g
- Water – 150 ml
- Lard or veggie shortening – 25 g
You can add in any of the following to the dough to create variations on a plain tortilla:
- Smoked paprika
- Black onion seeds
- Garlic powder
- Finely chopped jalapeños (dry them in a kitchen towel first if you’re using pickled ones from a jar)
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead until just smooth
- Dust the top with flour lightly then leave to rest for half an hour under a tea towel or cling film. This doesn’t rise as there is no yeast but does need time for the gluten to develop
- Split the dough into either 8 or 10 equal pieces, depending on how big you want your tortillas. You can either do this by sight (chop the dough in half and so on) or, to get the tortillas as equal as possible, weigh the dough and work out the weight for an eighth or tenth of that total. Then weigh portions out accordingly
- Put your frying pan (skillet) on the hob over a medium-high heat
- Flour your work surface and roll out a ball of dough thinly (about 1-2 mm thick) and to as close to a circle as possible. Mind you, don’t worry if it’s a wonky ‘circle’ as that’s all part of the hand made charm
- Pop the tortilla on the frying pan and toast on the first side until it is getting dark brown but not burnt. This will only be a minute or even less so keep a keen eye on it
- Flip over and repeat on the other side
- While the first tortilla is dry-frying roll out the next one, but bear in mind how quick they cook!
- Repeat until all tortillas are browned on both sides